Saturday, September 1, 2007

Aaron's Birthday Weekend

Aaron officially turned 32 on Monday August 27th but we celebrated all weekend. On Saturday I took him downtown to a cooking school where the chef specializes in Cajun and Southern cooking. Instead of taking him out to breakfast, our usual weekend routine, I took him to learn how to make beignets and cafe au lait.


Me patiently waiting for Chef Raymeaux to start up the beignets.





Me losing my patience. Bring on the beignets!!!!




Here is Chef Raymeaux working the dough. Interesting guy. He actually got his Ph.D from the Univeristy of Oklahoma! Small world. He was a professor for a while then decided to start cooking. He also does a dinner class on Tuesday nights. We're going to get our friends to attend with us.




The finished product. Don't inhale! Takes us back to our week in New Orleans the spring before the hurricane. We enjoyed these at Cafe Dumonde along with the other tourists. It is customary to have 2 breakfasts in New Orleans (my kind of town!). Beignets and coffee early and then a "jazz breakfast" later. The cafe au lait was really good. I don't normally drink coffee so I was apprehensive that I would like it but I loved it. Of course you need to use the antique french drip pot he has and great chicory coffee poured simultaneously with hot milk.



The birthday boy enjoying a hot beignet.



LATER THAT NIGHT...........


We (myself and our friends) took the birthday boy downtown to 42nd Street Oyster Bar to enjoy some crab and cocktails. I have a new favorite drink - the Jessie's girl. Sooo good. However,Julie and I were disappointed in the Pearis Hilton. Go figure.

Planting a smooch on an unsuspecting Jeff seems like a good idea until you remember your friend has a blog! Ha! Don't worry - I'll put up unflattering pictures of myself, too (see above beignet picture)!


Todd and Kevin enjoying some cocktails at the bar.

No comments: